Life Update























Well folks, I have made it. I donned my cap, grabbed my axe, and became a lumberjack living high up in the hilly areas of Portland, OR. It is definitely beautiful up here. I can walk a few meters down the road and see hills and mountains in all directions. I have created a flikr to keep track of all of my pictures by month. So if you are interested you can check them out here. I am going to run around and take pictures of things later when the lighting is better. The weather is not bad either. I arrived on the last of a series of cloudy and rainy days, and it has been nice ever since. It is usually mostly sunny with the temperatures in the 50s and 60s and a little wind chill. It is a little cooler than I expected it to be, but I am sure that will change in no time at all.

Now, about bikes. In an effort to become more bike savvy, I have decided that I would like to build a bike. I am going to try to accumulate almost all of the parts on the cheap, and learn about things as I go. I have a wonderful book that I bought for a few bucks on amazon called Effective Cycling by John Forester. The book is a tome of cycling knowledge that ranges from the inner workings and assembly of bearings to the physiology of cycling to cycling culture and road rules. It includes many wonderful hand drawn diagrams of parts that I hope to recreate using my own parts. My Giant should arrive in about a week, which is going to be super helpful getting around and accumulating parts for my new bike.

I am having a little trouble deciding what to do about a job here in Portland. Firstly, I live pretty far away from everything which a) makes jobs scarce and b) makes me contemplate moving closer to town. So finding a job is not on the tippity top of my list. Whats more, the west coast time makes non-scheduled tutoring easy. All of the west coast students are logging on around 6pm Pacific Time, and staying on until 10 which is getting a little late for East Coast tutors. So far, I have been able to get on around 8pm and float for two hours to problem. Now the trick is to schedule hours that are harder to get for my time zone, then log back on later when students are abundant. I figure I have about another month of this four hours a day tutoring schedule, so I need to try to secure a job and a new place to live soon.

If you ignore the location, it is really great. I took the bus downtown and it took about 45 minutes, which could by much worse I suppose. On the way back, I had to wait at a bus stop for 20 minutes and it was in the middle of nowhere. At first, I thought oh great, this is really annoying, and I stared at the traffic. while sitting there on a medium sized road, I saw several cyclists. Some were all geared up, some looked like they were headed to work, some flew through the intersection, others labored up the hill. All in all, it was really encouraging to see people at all different levels biking for different reasons. I am glad I had the chance to just sit and observe for a bit....but now I want to join them.

Also big news: I am turning 21 this Sunday! Hooray! To make things even better, we might be hosting our first couchsurfer this weekend. He is a student from London and he is just out here exploring for a few days. What a welcoming party, eh?

Also Also not big news at all: I have suddenly become interested in maps. I started making a paper version of google's street map of SE Portland, but I was interrupted by the internet's distracting abilities. I am sure I will work on it more soon. I am also working on a google map that will document all of the cool things I find and whatnot. Check out the links for a bare-bones version I just made. I will try to find a fun way to map my explorations and escapades. (I don't actually know if the link will work. Let me know if it doesn't.)

Stay Tuned.


Links (by title length, shortest to longest)

My Maps! (Google)
My Pictures (Flickr)
Couchsurfing! (My Profile)
How about my job too? (Tutor.com)

Leave a Reply