The End of May - A Life Update

What an adventure! This month has had all sorts of ups and downs, and I am happy to say that it is ending on a wonderful note. Tomorrow I will move into a new house that is further away from nature (sad) but closer to fiends (happy!). I have been keeping myself quite busy thinking, writing a little, learning Russian through RS, and tutoring when I can. In my efforts to improve my reserach writing, I have discovered the questioning that just comes from within (my last post is proof of this). To help inspire these questions, I reacctivated my netflix account and I have two films to suggest.

The first of these is You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train, a documentary about Howard Zinn that takes the title from one of his books. The film is a easy on the eyes; it has collages of old pictures and videos narrated in part by Zinn and in part by Matt Damon (LOL). It is a blend between biography, historical documentary, and an inspirational political film. Well, that description might give you the wrong idea. The film, like other historical documentaries, moves pretty slowly (which is not my favorite), but it makes up for it in inspiration. I reccommend that if you have some time on your hands, and if you have read any of his books, take some time and rent it. However, if you don't have any money(, can't find it online,) and only have enough time to watch one film . . . read on.
The second is Can Mr. Smith Get to Washington Anymore? It is a documentary that follows Jeff Smith, a professor at Washington University who decides he is going to run for Congress. He grabs some people and friends to work on his campaign, none of whom have ANY camagin experience. This is truly a mind bending film. This film inspires me much more than President Obama's candidacy and election. Sure, President Obama's was bigger and more impressive, but Smith just decided that he was going to do it, and he did it. It has made me think a lot about politics and how the democracy we want is possible. It alos reminded me that I have not defined my thoughts on hot button issues. I know what my views on them are, but I have not fully explored why they are my views and whether the should continue to be my views. Anyway, if you are relaxing in the afternoon, I suggest you watch this film (see the link at the end of the post).

Finally, I took some pictures the other day. I call it...
A Walk in the Park or Least Scary Graveyard Ever.


Music to listen to while you are looking at pictures:
Some Guster show I did not attend.
(Hit the >> to skip the intro.)


Links
Zinn Film (Trailer | IMDB)
Mr. Smith Film (Snagfilms | IMDB)
My pictures (flikr)

Leave a Reply