Adventures in Intro Biology Part 3

I walked toward the natural science building
and was surprised to see a line of students queued up from one of the doors. At least 30 students were in that line or pressed up against the door and once in a while, a student would burst free from the cluster and exit the building. I laughed on the inside and put on my best expression that said, "huh, why are you all standing there like that? You are all so strange," as I walked in the door just to the right of the ones they were lined up against. I easily walked into the building, strolled into the lecture hall, and immediately found a seat in the front row. I know that the freshman who were waiting were ignorant of the lesser known portal, but superiority is a great feeling.

Having gotten off to such a great start, there was no way I was going to give my undivided attention to the review of the syllabus that has been elongated into an hour long lecture. Instead, I thought about all of the changes the biology department has been making. I do need to throw in the disclaimer that I only have three semesters of knowledge about the biology department so hopefully there will be some input from more experienced readers (or siblings or significant others of siblings that bought me a wonderful book of hilarious comics that shares the title of my blog). There is a noticeable difference between the biology classes I have taken and the other natural sciences and I assure you it was not the subject matter. The biology department has been trying very hard to teach "processes of scientific inquiry", a subject I find extremely valuable to know.

My attention was drawn away from class and to this idea first by why this was being included. Obviously, the process and method of scientific investigation is important to SCIENCE....that's what it is. Has this been taught in the past? Did it used to be a part of all science classes and slowly fell out of the course content? Has it ever been its own class? Why are they teaching this in an introductory class? That last question is easy to answer; because it is so vital to science that students need to be exposed to it before they continue. If it is so vital (it is the foundation of science), why is it not a separate class?

After having thought of more questions than I wanted to even think about answering, I started thinking about to whom they were catering. The knowledge of scientific design is important to biologists (scientists), professors (who, at least at research universities, are scientists), and....doctors? I hope so. The most represented demographic in the class was pre-med freshmen and my, oh my, how they looked stereotypical. I hope that despite their current conformity, they go on to become doctors who have a decent idea of real science. That way, my detestment and distrust of M.D.s can be directed completely at their arrogance and greed.

First day of class: successful and largely uneccessary. The reason I continue to attend classes is that being forced to sit in one place for an hour or so does wonders for my imagination. I have had some fantastic ideas during class, I just hope they come during intro bio part 3, not orgo.

One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Haha thanks for the shout-out...when I took Intro Bio it was still a single 5-credit lecture/lab combo, so they basically lost me when they switched to the 3 class format, or whatever it is now.

    I think the hard sciences, in general, at the undergraduate intro level are constantly trying to strike the appropriate balance between adequately preparing students who will pursue advanced studies in related fields and not alienating students with a more casual interest in the content.

    Whether or not the curriculum hits that sweet spot is a matter for healthy debate, but ultimately the constraint may mean it is hard to satisfy everyone all the time. Specifically with respect to the "process of scientific inquiry," to me that is basically equivalent to the "scientific method," which is a key concept introduced at a young age and revisited in various capacities through years of schooling (including Intro to Bio). I think if you separated it out as its own class at the college level it would be more like "how to do your own original research," and my perspective is that at UM you are able to get that, if you're truly interested, through things like UROP or working in a lab for credit -- and in fact, many people do just that. I did lab work for credit for two semesters through the chem department, and many of my science friends followed a similar path. So there's my historical analysis.

    On a final (and different) note, I've been exposed to many MDs or future MDs in my grad classes, and they tend to be very evidence-based (i.e. science-focused). In fact, the easiest way to get them to do something is to present an evidence base! Just an observation in response to your last point. P.S. -- Many of my best friends from undergrad went on to med school, and also from my time in hospitals I can say there are really many excellent, motivated people who are doctors. There are good and bad people in every profession! -W

Leave a Reply