A letter to my mom

This is the email I wrote to my mother when she asked about the National Equality March this weekend.



Hi Mom!

I had a really great time. I am a little sick now which is no good. I have a yucky lung cough, but not a fever, so I don't know what to call it. I felt pretty bad during the march (not much food, it was hot, lots of marching), but I feel much better now (but not well yet). The trip was so exciting! One Saturday, I went through one of the smithsonian museums, and then joined a "flash" protest against Don't Ask Don't Tell. I don't know why they called it a flash protest, because "flash" usually refers to something that only takes a few minutes. This protest took a few hours, and was very long and tiring. Afterward, I went back to the hotel and relaxed. The actual National March for Equality was on Sunday. There were 150,000 to 250,000 people there marching! It was incredible. I marched past the whitehouse on the way to the capitol.

I have to think that being out and going to the white house and fighting for my rights as an American and as a human being makes a difference. If I don't believe that, then I might as well pack up and leave. Even though we haven't seen the change President Obama has promised, we are getting closer. On the night before the march, the President announced that he was with us, and that he is working on repealing don't ask don't tell. While I don't believe in war, I do believe in justice and equality for all, and that means fighting for the kind of country where anyone can do what they aspire to do, even if I disagree with them and even if it doesn't affect me. While I can always wish that more people would contact their legislators, I am the only person I hold myself accountable for, and I gave up my weekend to go to Washington D.C.

Love,

Boy

Leave a Reply