5k-ish Time Trial

I knew something was wrong when I passed the 1.5 mile marker at 6 minutes 55 seconds. Uh oh, I thought, this either means I am much more fit than I thought I was, or more likely this path did not start at 0. With only an idea about which one was most likely, I decided to keep running and estimate how far I had run. At the beginning of the Spring Water Corridor, there is a small sign that gives distances to various landmarks along this 3 mile stretch of path. I knew that it was 1.8 miles to a wildlife reserve, so I decided that I would just run until the entrance was in view for a bit, then turn around and run back.

I passed the 2 mile marker and rounded the bend, revealing the entrance to the reserve. I thought I had a good pace even though I felt a bit heavy. I turned around and started the return journey. I did not catch my time at this point, so I don't have a halfway split. I started feeling it after I passed the 1.5 mile marker on the return trip. All I new for sure at this point was that I had run at least one mile, and at most two. Around then was when the trees stopped revealing the river and the setting sun (the rays of which took my mind of running pains by stealing my sight and my ability to keep cool).

After another two minutes I could see the bridge that was close to the entrance. I've noticed that knowing where my finish line gives me confidence that I can finish, but it also messes up my body. Knowing how far I have to go almost always results in feeling tired and wanting to stop. Maybe it is just because I try a push a little harder without knowing it. Maybe it is just because I take my mind off of my pace and technique. Maybe it is a subconscious thing. Whatever it is, I felt it...that is, of course, until I saw the 1 mile marker hiding in a bush.

I now knew that I had run at least 2 miles and that I was pretty tired. The bridge was getting closer and closer, so I kept running. I eventually saw the gateway that marked the beginning of the path and started my sprint. I knew I was close to vomiting, but I thought that I should try a little extra hard because I was timing it. Lo and behold, I did not vomit! I passed the finish line, stopped my timer, and heaved a few times; but none of my pre-TT meal was to be seen. My time? 25.51.96

I am not terribly happy with this time, but given how I felt during the run, I will not be surprised if I shave off at least a minute or two on my next attempt simply by learning a few lessons from this run.

Things to keep in mind before my next time trial:

  1. Eat much earlier. This time I gave myself about three hours after eating some whole grain pasta. Next time, I am going to eat light before my run.
  2. Run earlier. I started the run around 6:15pm. The heat wasn't too bad, but I think I will have a better time if I give it a shot earlier in the day.
  3. Know the course. I will probably run the same course, but next time, I will be aware that the path starts counting at .5 miles. Obvious.
Are you a better runner than me? Give me advice!

2 Responses so far.

  1. Sarah says:

    I'm not a better runner than you, but I do miss you, Cobin. <3

  2. Rachana says:

    Hi Colin

    Long time...

    I run as well but usually in the evenings after the sun sets. How abt that? No heat or food issues :)

Leave a Reply