When I speak to people who are steadfast in their beliefs and points of view, I have mixed feelings. I refuse to hold a belief so dearly, to have a position so unmovable that few things are capable of making me change my mind. That is just ignorance to me. There are few instances in which one can know absolutely everything about a given topic. Every detail, every person involved, every circumstance. One should certainly have reason for their belief, but in very few cases is that reason thorough enough to warrant sureness.

A problem inevitably arises when putting beliefs into action. If one is completely sure of a certain belief, putting it into action is easy as there are not any other things they must take into account. For rational things, however, it is harder as there will always be things that one has missed one way or another. The solution? Be able to either modify actions and policies or make up for mistakes.

I want to edit this and write more...I will if I find the time

2 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    I think it´s lovely to have such faith in something. You know what they say, that if you stand for nothing, you´ll fall for everything. No-one can tell me Colin Roberts is a bad person and I will love him til the end of time. Just as no-one can tell me Santa Claus doesn´t exist or that Mighty Boosh isn´t the best show ever or that God isn´t real. I think it´s the best thing in the world that someone loves something so much to never want to give up how they feel about it. I understand if someone might be really close-minded, that´s horrible. Still, you can always agree to disagree. Shit happens. You reckon?

  2. Rachana says:

    I think it is important to have objective beliefs, opinions, views etc. Although, I do agree that on most occasions most of us are not aware of the reasons for our opinions. The views are then held on faith and not reason which in my opinion is not healthy.

    If your views are backed by valid reasons then I think one should stand by it at all costs.

Leave a Reply